Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Research Topic

My research topic is online shopping and how it has affected the shopping industry (i.e. malls, individual shops). I will also show if it has had a positive or negative affect on the companies who choose to use it.

As I approach this essay, the overall question I am trying to answer is "How has online shopping affected the shopping industry?" There are two aspects to my question. First is the companies who only sell online. I think it is a researchable question especially with the popularity of things like eBay, Overstock, and Amazon. And with technology on the rise, it is important to see if these inventions have caused malls and individually owned shops to lose revenue. That is valuable information that might help us see what shopping will be like in the future. The second aspect has to do with regular stores like Walmart and Target, and how this has affected their sales.

This topic interests me because I do a lot of online shopping. I buy at least one or two Christmas gifts online, and over the past couple years, I have bought my Valentine's Day presents online. I also have several friends who use eBay quite a bit and I am just curious to see how this has affected the companies producing these products. By writing this paper, I hope to have a better understanding of how online shopping works and I hope to find information that will persuade me or discourage me from participating in online shopping. And also because I am a business/finance major, I think learning how to do research on a business related topic will prepare me for future courses and jobs.

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

This sounds like an interesting and fun topic to research. I would guess there's quite a bit of information out there, so I like how you're focusing in on the financial aspects of this (rather than expanding to security of online shopping, etc.) Looks like a promising start.