Sunday, January 27, 2008
Personal Essay Topic
My topic for my personal essay is ways my dad has affected my life. I started thinking about this topic when we wrote about the room from our childhood. I wrote about my bedroom in my old house, and it made me think about how my life used to be and how it is now. So, I started wondering what my life would be like if I still lived there. Where would I have gone to high school? What friends would I have? Would I still have come to TCU? While that will be my prime example I will also pull in other examples from my life where a decision or just advice my dad gave me completely changed my life. When brainstorming for examples, the things that have affected me have been small, random incidences, but now when I look back on them seem critical to the development of me as a person. I chose this topic because I'm always wondering what my life would be like had I not moved or had different parents. Observing my dad also makes me think ahead to when I get married and have kids and how I want to raise them. Do I want to raise them the same way? Do I want to marry someone like my dad, who shares the same ideals and beliefs?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It looks like you have thought a lot about the questions you wish to answer as you write your personal essay. I think you are off to a good start, and just keep thinking how you feel about all of those topics.
I think it's great you have so many thoughts about your childhood and about the changes your dad made in your life and how they affected you. I think you said that your dad wanted you to move to the country to get away from the city and it shows your respect for your father that you didn't question him and instead decided to go for it and make the move a positive one. You ask a lot of good questions so if you just focus on answering those, more questions will come and you will get deeper into the topic and have a great essay.
This sounds like a great topic that will give you quite a bit of personal experience to draw on. You'll likely have to take some time narrowing down which (can be a few) of those experiences best fit into the theme. Looking forward to reading your draft on Friday!
Post a Comment